6 hours, 15 minutes
- 1 pound Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, finely shredded, plus additional for garnishing
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole Italian tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/3 cup Chianti or other dry red wine
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 pound fusilli or other short, ridged or tubular pasta
Place Italian sausage, ground beef, egg, oats, parsley and Parmesan in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper and combine with hands, taking care not to over-mix. Form into 1 1/2-inch meatballs and place in the slow cooker.
Add hand-crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, wine, garlic, onion, and vinegar. Season with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Stir gently to combine, being careful not to break up or crush meatballs, cover and set slow cooker on low for 6 hours. Halfway through cooking, flip meatballs and bathe them in sauce.
When sauce is ready, taste and adjust seasonings. Cook pasta according to package directions. Individually top pasta with meatballs and sauce and garnish with Parmesan, or serve family-style.